Financial Slavery

Friday, August 12, 2011

Dog Days of August

It is August 12 and I can't believe there are only three weeks left before school begins.  I realize that my head is not fully involved in the process of starting the year.  We need to start thinking about our device drama about self-esteem.  Last year we focused on bullying - using surveys and research, national figures and professional experts to build and device our piece.  How do we device this year's piece, making it equally powerful yet different from last year?  I think we can still survey the student body, but I'm intrigued by the idea of focus groups. 

I attended a conference in Chicago (AATE) at the end of July where they spoke about applied theatre and faculty development.  Many ways they tackled that work was through focus groups.  Could we apply some of those techniques with groups of sample students from the school?  Can we get the students to talk honestly about some of the issues around not believing that our school offers them a competitive edge (especially in comparison to private schools or upper income schools)?  Or are the anonymous surveys our better bet again?

And how to better utilize dance and music this year?  I watch SYTYCD every year and I know how powerful dance and music can be to tell our stories.  Our talented choreographer can definitely help create this - but I am equally committed to making sure our students' voices are heard - that this process isn't just about the faculty's visions.

Just continuing to pondor the process as time rolls out in the dog days of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment